BONE GRAFTING IN HARRISONBURG, VA
EFFICIENT BONE GRAFTING IN HARRISONBURG
Bone grafting is a standard dental procedure that replaces or rebuilds the jaw bone. A bone grafting procedure is often necessary when someone has lost teeth or suffered from other oral health problems that have caused bone loss. While bone grafting procedures are common procedures, not everyone needs them.
Give Massanutten Dental a call at 540-908-4846 to schedule an appointment and determine if bone grafting is right for you.
What is a bone graft?
When you lose a tooth, we can fill the space with a dental implant. But what if there is not enough jaw bone to support a dental implant? That is where bone grafting comes in. This procedure can be used to treat a variety of injuries and conditions. Bone grafting is a surgical procedure used to repair or replace lost bone in the body with material from another source. We can take this from another part of your body or a donor.
Types of Bone Grafts in Harrisonburg, VA
- Autograft: The bone is taken from your own body, usually from the hip bone. This type of bone graft is very effective in rebuilding bone tissue where it has been lost.
- Allograft: The bone tissue is taken from a donor and transplanted into the recipient. This procedure has several advantages over other forms of bone grafting, including shortened healing time since it is only one procedure.
- Alloplast: This uses synthetic material to replace lost jaw bone. Alloplast material is made from collagen and other proteins, and it is safe and effective for use in a bone graft.
- Xenograft: This bone graft material is made from donated animal bones, which are sterilized and freeze-dried before use. We can use it on its own or with other types of bone grafts.
Who needs bone grafting?
The bone grafting procedure is a standard treatment that many people may need to replace or strengthen the jaw bone. It is most commonly used in procedures like dental implants and bridge replacements. In addition, this procedure may be necessary to restore function or improve the appearance of teeth, gum tissue, and other oral tissues.
There are various reasons someone might need a bone graft, including tooth loss, gum disease, or injuries to the mouth. If you have had a tooth extraction, you may need a bone graft to support the remaining teeth. If you are missing bone in your jaw and considering dental implants and don’t already have enough bone to support the implant, you may need a bone graft before treatment can begin.
These are the most common reasons a patient will need a bone graft:
- Gum disease
- Missing teeth
- Injuries to your jaw bone
If you are experiencing any of these issues, please call our office as soon as possible to begin treatment.
Bone Loss Prevention
While losing teeth is often a concern, there are ways to prevent tooth loss and jawbone deterioration. These tips will help you maintain strong teeth and healthy gums. You should practice good oral hygiene and brush your teeth twice daily. Lastly, be sure to visit your dentist regularly for preventative care.
Tips for Healing Post Bone Graft
Recovery after a bone graft can be lengthy and uncomfortable, but there are steps you can take to make the healing process as smooth as possible. These are some tips to help you heal quickly and minimize the pain.
- Take prescribed medications as directed.
- Avoid biting or chewing on the side the bone grafting was performed.
- Use ice packs to minimize facial swelling.
- Brush your teeth gently and avoid the surgical site until it has healed.
- Avoid smoking for as long as possible, as it will interfere with healing.
- Drink plenty of liquids and eat soft foods for at least three days post-surgery.
Contact Us for Bone Graf for Dental Implants in Harrisonburg, VA
If you are experiencing bone loss and would like to explore your options for bone grafting, we would be happy to schedule a consultation with you and answer any questions you may have about the procedure. Contact our dental office in Harrisonburg, VA, to schedule an appointment with one of our talented staff members who will help make sure your extraction is as quick and painless as possible.
Call us today at 540-908-4846.